Why choose Criminal Justice at GCC?
Our Criminal Justice programs will provide you with a solid background in criminal justice. You will learn about the various components of the criminal justice system—law enforcement, courts and corrections—as well as the social issues surrounding the system.
Advantages of our programs
- Smaller classes
- Accessible faculty and close faculty/student interaction
- Flexible full-time or part-time scheduling
- Academic tutoring
- Supervised field experience
- Contact with police, judges, lawyers, courts and correction personnel working in the community
- Lower tuition and expanded financial aid opportunities
- Career counseling by faculty with extensive experience working in various fields of criminal justice
Some facts about criminal justice
Our nation's criminal justice system, a growing area for career opportunities, relies upon a large, well-trained, caring work force for its effectiveness.
More than two million people are currently employed in the criminal justice system and the private sector security areas. The U.S. Department of Labor predicts a strong demand for parole officers, police and security personnel and other positions related to the criminal justice system beyond the year 2000.
Career opportunities in criminal justice
An extensive list of criminal justice careers and other job-related resources is available at the UNCW Career Center. Career opportunities in criminal justice include:
- Law enforcement, at the local, state or federal level
- Courts, at the federal or state level
- Court diversionary programs
- Corrections, at local, state, and federal levels
- Crime prevention in both the public and private sector
- Industrial and retail security
- Rehabilitation programs for criminal offenders and juveniles
- Victim/witness advocacy